Take your 100 watt amp and put it on Ebay. Or have a yard sale. You’ll never hook it up again.
We don’t want you to compare the ProLogue Premium to an integrated that sells for $2399. That’s too easy. We want you to compare it to an integrated that sells for $5000. Compare it for the things that really count. Build quality like point to point wiring. Premium parts like an Alps Blue Velvet Volume control. Custom-wound output transformers for super-wide bandwidth and REAL bass that has punch and follow-through. Engineering like Adaptive AutoBias, Bad Tube Indicator, Super Quiet Relay source selection instead of cheap switches, and SmartWatts which assures you no headaches that for years have been associated with tubes. No longer will you be a slave to worry about how much time you left your amp on. Turn it up. Have fun. Use it every day. All day.
You can compare the sound and it will become immediately apparent. But if that's not possible, don't worry. The most well-known experts in audio have done it for you. While most products you read about get good reviews, they don't get chosen by the experts for their own personal use.
Bob Deutsch, an expert in audio and a well-known senior reviewer at Stereophile magazine, reviewed the ProLogue Premium in 2012. Not only did he give it a great review, he loved it so well he asked if he could continue it to use for writing reviews of top-name loudspeakers. For years now it's been mentioned in the pages of Stereophile, but in one 2015 review in particular, he really summed it up by saying:
“Ever since I reviewed PrimaLuna’s ProLogue Premium, for the June 2012 issue, it has been the model I turn to when I wanted a moderately priced integrated amplifier to try with a new speaker. It never disappointed me, and never seemed outclassed, even when the speaker was the Martin Logan Montis ($10,000/pair). At $2399, the ProLogue Premium to me represents the “sweet spot” for systems in the range of $4,000-$10,000 or higher.”
Did he say Martin Logan Montis? Those big electrostats? Yup. Just like in solid state, you can have a 100 watt receiver and it doesn’t sound as good as a high quality 50 watt amp. As an experienced audiophile, you probably already know that power has nothing to do with sound quality. Here is proof. Speaker reviews written by a qualified professional using a 36 watt amp.
Welcome to the world of educated buyers.
Every component looks good on the outside. You can’t make a good buying decision without looking at the inside. Look at specifics. Go to Google, type in a competitive product, and click on “images”. They don’t want you looking inside. We demand you do.
- Adaptive AutoBias. A PrimaLuna exclusive. If anybody tells you that they have auto bias, ask them precisely how. It's most likely not true. As with all PrimaLuna amps, you never have to worry about biasing your amp ever again, and the need for matched tubes is eliminated. Just plug in EL34, KT88, or KT120 (as well as many others) and AAB does the rest while improving sound quality. Tubes are constantly monitored and kept in their best operating range, reducing distortion by up to 50%!
- Home theater pass-thru. Straight from the critically-acclaimed DiaLogue Series, this direct-line circuitry means less noise and coloration over unity gain circuits. You can hook it up to a surround processor, and when you switch the ProLogue Premium to HT the amplifier becomes in essence a power amp.
- Relay based input selection. Instead of a cheap selector switch, PrimaLuna has a relay and circuit mounted at every input. If you select a CD player input, for example, a relay closes and a perfect load is presented to the item you are listening to. All other relays are open so as to prevent crosstalk between inputs. This is many times more expensive to build, and you would never see it, but it is what PrimaLuna stands for!
- Custom wide bandwidth output transformers No other brand can copy the PrimaLuna sound for one simple reason: PrimaLuna output transformers. Almost every manufacturer buys their output transformers off the shelf; with varying degrees of success. Transformers are the most important (and most expensive) ingredient in making an amplifier. Our output transformers are custom wound in-house. The designs are the result of collaboration between engineers in the Netherlands and the United States, and built to the same standards that you come to expect from the world’s authority on tube amplifier manufacturing.
That’s why PrimaLuna bass extension is deep and tight, the top end extended but without even a hint of grain, and that famous PrimaLuna midrange, which creates a sense of space and shape you won’t get anywhere else.
- New front-end circuitry. Optimized to use two 12AU7 tubes per channel. With the improved transformers, produces lower distortion.
- Full-function remote. Slim, anodized aluminum remote, controls volume, mute, and source selection, as well as Play/pause and Stop/eject functions of the new ProLogue Premium CD Player.
- SmartWatts design. PrimaLuna's true-value, low stress design philosophy. Many manufacturers fudge on their power ratings, claiming power that is mathematically impossible. Every seasoned tube owners knows that 20 watts from a tube amp is a ton of power. What is really important is that PrimaLuna runs their power tubes up to 40% easier that other manufacturers. You can tell easily by putting your hand on top of a PrimaLuna amp. They run cooler than others. There is no reason to run tubes at their jagged edge. Why do manufactures do it? Click here to see more.
Next, the ProLogue Premium Series introduces four innovative circuits that protect the amp at every level:
- BTI-circuit. BTI stands for "Bad Tube Indicator." On the chassis’ deck in front of each power tube, is a small LED that lights up if the tube goes bad. The circuit then puts the amp into protection mode. With other brands, this may be when you have to break out the soldering iron to replace a plate resistor, and replace two or four tubes because your amp requires matched sets. With PrimaLuna, you just replace the tube it tells you to (no matched tubes required), and turn the amp back on. No hassles, no headaches.
- PTP-circuit. If the power transformer should overheat, this "Power Transformer Protection" circuit cuts primary power, allows the amp to cool down, then resets itself.
- OTP-circuit. The "Output Transformer Protection" circuit protects the output transformers in the event of a massive tube failure or user error.
- +B relay. Replaces the plate fuse and works in conjunction with the OTP-circuit to protect the amp against tube failure. This method is less intrusive sonically and the relay resets itself once the faulty tube is replaced.
As with all PrimaLuna components, the ProLogue Premium Integrated is made by hand with the finest point-to-point wiring and quality equal to—or better than—any product you can buy at any price. Built using premium parts featuring: ceramic tube sockets; Solen and Nichicon capacitors; WBT-style solid core speaker terminals; ALPS Blue Velvet volume control; gold-plated RCA jacks; toroidal power transformer. All packaged in a high-gloss, hand-rubbed finish.
Connecting a subwoofer? Click here to see how.
Also available with optional MM phonostage. Price: $249. Click here for info.